Saturday, August 13, 2011

And so it begins...

I have been thinking for quite a while about starting a blog, and the time has come.

The purpose of my blog will be to share my experience with the community. I will discuss topics that have come up in my work as the manager of software developers in a national insurance corporation. My intention is to provide advice and opinions from my experience on topics such as: New Technology, Development Processes and Procedures, Developing the Team, Managing the Team and Surviving Corporate Life.

Why am I qualified to give advice and opinions on these topics? I am not entirely sure that I am. I have been developing software since 1979. I started with a TRS-80 and "trash basic" in the 3rd grade. I tried it out in a class and my life changed. I have had a passion for computers, technology and software since. I have learned untold number of languages over the years, and equally as many patterns and techniques. I have been in the professional world since the early 90's, and have worked for companies that range from LARGE banks to a consulting company with five employees including two and a half developers (one was part time). I currently work for a mid-size, national auto insurance company. My responsibilities have ranged from humble beginnings as a help-desk tech through a few ups and downs to my current position as the supervisor of a six man development team where I act as the architect, project manager, and design and development supervisor.

I am always open to constructive criticism, and am willing to consider points of view other than my own. I have learned that good honest debate is sometimes the best way to learn something new.

And so it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment